ESOF2010 will be a unique opportunity to meet and discuss important issues in which science and technology play a central role.ESOF2010 will feature a core Scientific Programme, offering conferences, workshops, and keynote lectures; an outreach programme aimed at the general public (Science in the City); plenty of activities specifically dedicated to young researchers (Career Programme), potential entrepreneurs and investors in highly innovative businesses (Science to Business), and science communicators (Science to Media).
The organizers are committed to address a wide range of themes and to hear as many qualified voices as possible. Major scientific personalities will be invited to share their experience, but most of the official programme will be set up with a bottom-up approach, thanks to an open Call for Proposals, on-line at www.esof2010.org. The Scientific Programme Call was launched on December 15, 2008. On February 16, 2009 the Call is open to the other programmes: Career, Science to Business and Science in the City. The deadlines are June 15, 2009 for the Scientific Programme and September 15, 2009 for Career, Science in the City, and Science to Business Programmes. Proposals – round-table sessions, informal discussions, debates, interviews, conferences, workshops and so on –must tackle current scientific and technological issues, pick up on trends and future developments, debate ethical and social issues, identify the toughest challenges, and study feasible solutions. In the core Scientific Programme, ten main themes have been chosen:
• Sustainable living and moving
• Evolution, development and adaptation of organisms
• Moving into and up from our quantum world
• Responding to global needs
• Frontiers in energy research
• Science, knowledge and belief
• Memory and learning in organisms, social and artificial systems
• Languages, cultures and variability
• Integrating science with health care
• Policy – what follows?Candidates will be evaluated by a highly qualified international Programme Committee. ESOF2010 has set the objective of maximizing gender and cultural diversity among the participants.
Members of the Project Team, including ESOF2010 Champion Professor Enrico Predazzi, are attending the 2009 AAAS Annual Meeting in Chicago, to promote the event and build connections. They will meet the press on February 13, at 4 p.m., in the Press Conference Room.
per ESOF2010 – Via Po 18, 10123 Torino (Italy) – www.esof2010.org
phone: +39 011 6702741 – fax: +39 011 6702746 – email:
Press Office: email@example.com